Re: ash vs. bash

On Sat, Jul 24, 1999 at 10:42:07AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:

 >That's simply not adequate. There are not just syntax differences
 >between the shells, there are logical differences as well. That's why I
 >refuse to screw with /bin/sh on production systems even though I use ash
 >on my own machine: there are almost certainly scripts out there with
 >little-used code paths which will behave differently under ash than
 >under bash, _even though they are syntactically valid in ash_. There's
 >too much uncertainty at this point to change the default. (Although I
 >agree that if _I_ change /bin/sh, bash ought to keep its hands off it.)

But if it does, then those rarely used scripts that use bashisms,
that happened to work because #!/bin/sh was actually bash, will fail
on you. That is why I say that leaving the link alone is probably not
enough. Well-done system configuration scripts, makefiles and that
should always avoid assuming than /bin/sh offers features other than
the basic Bourne ones. Pre- post- scripts in /var/lib/dpkg/info/ that
use non-bourne features do not help with achieving a better policy.
I agree with you that unless someone make sure that all Debian system
scripts use pure-bourne code it is probably better not to fiddle with
/bin/sh, but that also means that upgrading bash _will_ have to reset
the link, because otherwise something could break. Anyway, I think that
by deciding not to fix it now, is likely to cause it to pop up again
in the future, when even more scripts will depend on bash.

bye

--
Carlo Strozzi       PGP Public Key fingerprint :
ED 4A 7A 6C 88 66 1B 34  06 14 FC 2E C7 EA F2 EE

Against software patents:
http://www.freepatents.org , http://no-patents.prosa.it