Re: infomagic

On Fri, Jul 23, 1999 at 10:40:41PM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 1999 at 10:51:07PM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> > > Why can we not release "soon"?
> > >
> > >   * Our boot disks don't work anymore
> >
> > If they don't, we can just stick slink's boot disks back in. It wouldn't
> > be the end of the world.

[snip]
> If you cannot use the rescue disk to rescue the system because of the
> difference in libc's, there's a problem ....

Forgot about the libc issue. Although if things really don't get fixed
we might have to reconsider the role of the rescue disk.

> > >   * We need to fix the cdrom layout
> >
> > Doesn't seem earth-shattering, either.
>
> Reported as done too..

Than I guess it wasn't the end of the world, was it?

> > >   * We have almost THREE HUNDRED release critical bugs that must be fixed
> > >     prior to release
> >
> > Careful, you're getting hysterical. What debian release has _not_ had
> > release-critical bugs? (*cough* dpkg *cough*) Have you looked at the
> > list? There's some stuff in there that's arguable, some stuff that can
> > be easily fixed by dropping packages from the dist, and some that
> > frankly aren't likely to be fixed.
>
> Most of the bugs I'm seeing are minor fixes.  They NEED to be done.  And I
> think I would probably leave the project in disgust before I allowed a
> release with THREE HUNDRED release critical bugs to be considered ready
> for the public's consumption.  That's just IMO plain wrong.

You keep shouting at me, I'm gonna hit you upside the head with a
clue-by-four. FYI, I looked at all the outstanding critical & grave bugs
last week, and most of the important ones. Shall I start posting
commentaries? (That's why I've been asking if someone's already doing
that.)

> > >   * The archive maintainers haven't had time to process the manual stuff
> > >     in incoming for what feels like ages but is probably more like a
> > >     couple of weeks
> >
> > I haven't seen anyone asking for help, so this must not be a crisis,
> > either.
>
> You don't hear Ian asking for help with dpkg but look at the number of
> bugs against it...  Look at the date of the last upload he made to it too.

If the archive maintainers don't ask for help, what am I supposed to do
about it? Wail, tear my hair, wear sackcloth and ashes, maybe shout at
people?

> > >   * dinstall seems to be broken/breaking
> > >   * Our mirrors are out of sync
> >
> > One follows from the other. Did I miss the plea for help on this one?
>
> The archive maintainers didn't make one.  Everybody ELSE on the other
> hand, did.  It seems fixed now.

Exactly. The people responsible for it thought that they could handle
it. It would be obnoxious for me to try to fix something if the r.p. is
already working on it.

> I'm itching to see the problems fixed.  WHEN (if?) they are fixed, I'll be
> happy to join you in itching for a freeze.  Not before then though.  I can
> see what dark is TRYING to do here.  He wants us to freeze when we're done
> breaking things.  This goes against tradition of a freeze announced ahead
> of time with lots of last minute uploads that screw us for 6 months while
> we TRY to fix all the new bugs created and having all out of date software
> by the time we DO release.
>
> If people make their last minute uploads and act like we've got a
> traditional freeze now, we'll get a release soon.  So far, the silent
> majority is voting for the traditional last-minute-upload thing.  I hope
> dark doesn't give in to the pressure to freeze soon whether we're ready or
> not...

Uh huh. And when does the breakage stop? I don't buy the dist going
dormant on its own--if we don't _prevent_ uploads, there will always be
a new version that people just can't live without.

Mike Stone