Re: [New maintainer] Working for Debian and becoming a registered Debian developer

On Thu, Jul 22, 1999 at 05:03:31PM -0400, Carl Mummert wrote:
> > I have no problem with waiting, and I'd rather not look bad just
> > because some people keep speaking badly about the new-maintainer
> > team.  We don't need another flamewar here. People have work to do.
>
> I do not mean to say anything negative about the new maintainer team.
>
> My criticism is aimed only at the policy that makes it difficult for
> new maintainers to join, causes headaches for the new maintainer team,
> and defies logic with some of its requirements.

AFAIK, there is no such policy. the new-maintainers team have only a
limited amount of time to process new applications and, as volunteers,
they get to prioritise how they use that time.

if they choose to give precedence to people who want to do the things
that everyone knows need doing and those who have demonstrated that they
will actually get something done, then good.  IMO, that shows they are
doing their job well.

having been involved with several groups over the years, i'm far more
impressed by actions than i am by promises. any group gets a lot of
people who talk a lot about what they're *going to* do, far more than
those who actually do something. the more successful or visible the
group, the more "talkers" there are.

working on stuff we need done or having your package already finished
(and checked/uploaded by a registered developer if necessary) proves
that you are a do-er rather than a talker. in that case, you *should*
get priority over those who have only talked.

craig

--
craig sanders