Re: [New maintainer] Working for Debian and becoming a registered Debian developer

On Thu, Jul 22, 1999 at 01:57:15PM -0400, Carl Mummert wrote:
> >> Moreover, you want them to do what YOU want them to do (WNPP)
> >No.
>
> I can verify if you require that, at least twice in the past week,
> someone asking how to be a new maintainer wsa told, on this list, that
> 'they will be more likely to accept you if you work on a wnpp'.  In
> the discussion of how new_maintainer@ is overloaded, all the proposals
> so far have included language to encourage new developers to work on
> a WNPP.  No documents have said 'Just pick a program, package it,and
> upload it.'

there's stuff that we need done - WNPP, adopting orphaned packages,
fixing existing bugs, debian-qa, boot-disks, release testing, etc.

is there something wrong with giving priority to those who are willing
to do the things that need to be done over those who just want to
package the latest cool little frivol from freshmeat or slashdot?

(NOTE: i'm not saying that people who want to do that should be
excluded, i'm saying that people who want to do more important stuff
should get precedence.)

i don't have a problem with that - you have to prioritise somewhere, and
needs-based priority is inherently fair.  we need bugs fixed a lot more than
we need 100 new developers with one tiny package each.

> There is control over who stays:  you have to upload packages, keep them
> current, fix the bugs.  If you don't, I assume there is a way to remove
> idle developers from the list.

IIRC, the only way to leave debian is to voluntarily resign from the
organisation.

craig

--
craig sanders