Re: ash vs. bash

On 21-Jul-99, 16:46 (CDT), Remco Blaakmeer <remco-blaakmeer@quicknet.nl> wrote:
> The "what happens if update-alternatives fails for some reason" problem
> doesn't only apply to /bin/sh. Any other symlink that is maintained by
> update-alternatives will also be affected by this problem.

True. But if I lose the link to vi, it's annoying, but easily fixable.
If I lose the link to /bin/sh, I've probably just made the system
unbootable.

Which is not to say update-alternatives couldn't be improved, just that
its current state doesn't mean it useless, just that it's potentially
dangerous when applied to critical links.

Steve