Re: ash vs. bash

Julian Gilbey <J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk> wrote:
> Read the code, realise how long there is and how many <do X> || die
> commands there are between deleting the old link and installing the
> new one, and it will be obvious.  It's not a question of two links
> rather than one, but a question of "what happens if
> update-alternatives fails for some reason"?

Which is really sad because there's no reason for this.

Proper way to update the link is:

create new link under some unique name,
rename new link so it occupies the old name.

[This will automatically delete the old link if it occupies
the old name.]

I suppose I ought to file a bug report against update-alternatives,
but I don't really have the time at the moment...

--
Raul