Re: [RFC] netstd

Drake Diedrich <Drake.Diedrich@anu.edu.au> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 14, 1999 at 11:52:46PM -0400, Carl Mummert wrote:
> >
> > Recently, I was looking into removing rshd from my computer (ssh has the
> > functionality that I need, and provides compatabiliy with rsh).
> >

>    Wasn't ssh at one point diverting rsh?

It was, but it didn't work for people that actually wanted to use rcp
as rcp, because rcp has /usr/bin/rsh hardcoded into it, which made it
call ssh again (Oops).

A reasonable solution would be for all the packages providing
something like rsh/rcp to do it via alternatives.  I believe the plan
is to split rsh out of netstd at some point.  Once that's done, it
will be much easier to look at doing alternatives from ssh that
actually work.

ssh does attempt to disable the rexec,login services in its postinst,
if it's not already asked the question.  For various reasons, this has
proved to be unreliable, so I'd be much happier if I could just remove
rshd, and be certain that it would never raise its ugly head again.

Anyway, it's not really ssh place to be playing with rsh's configuration.

Cheers, Phil.