Re: ash vs. bash

On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 12:23:33AM +0100, Julian Gilbey wrote:
>> However - there are probably many debian /bin/sh scripts which assume
>> that 'sh' is in fact bash.  Whilst this is certainly a bug (against
>> policy even, I think) they can be hard to find.
>
> I remember that last time this came up, several people reported that
> they had essentially no problems using ash as /bin/sh.  I have been
> doing so for several months and noticed no ill effects.  There are
> probably fewer such scripts than one might imagine.

How about a lintian check with "ash -n script" to make sure scripts in
packages work with ash. It sounds like several developers are using ash
as sh successfully, but there are currently no attempts to enforce this
switch from bash to ash works on uploaded packages. I don't want to risk
systems crashing because an upgraded essential package really needs bash
and not ash.

Sorry if I misunderstood and there are already checks in place. From the
other posts in the thread, there is no official support for using ash as
sh.
--
Lee Bradshaw                 lee@sectionIV.com (preferred)
Alantro Communications       lee@alantro.com