Install from CD-ROM problems

Hello,
	I'm having trouble installing Debian 2.1 from CD.  Specifically, I'm
stuck at the "Configure Device Driver Modules"/"Install Base System" point
in the installation process.  My CD-ROM drive is a 4x from Creative Labs
(I'm not sure of the exact model - I can't find it in my manual!) that I
purchased about 5 years ago in a SB16 bundle.  I'm pretty sure it uses an
IDE interface, but every IDE option in the Debian install procedure fails,
giving the message "Unable to mount CD-ROM."  I've installed every device
driver module that looks remotely like it might help recognize the drive.
I've tried configuring it as a proprietary device, with no success.  I've
read every relevent document I could find (Debian install FAQ, CD-ROM
How-to, all the documentation on the Debian CD itself), and I'm stuck.
	As for the installation procedure, I used the rescue and drivers
floppies to boot up. Then I partitioned my 1GB HD to have 128MB for MS-DOS,
50MB for root, 32MB for /swap, and the rest for /usr.  If I had my way, I'd
like to have a Linux-only machine, but all the documentation I've found is
geared toward setting up a Linux partition.  When in Rome...
	I realize that this list is already quite busy, so if anyone would
like to carry on a one-to-one correspondence to help me through this and
prevent further cluttering of the list, I would be very appreciative.  I am
a Linux rookie, but I worked on a Unix workstation for over a year.  I'm an
RPG programmer looking to explore my creative side in a Linux development
environment as a hobby.

Thanks,
Jeff J