Re: value of LANG

Anthony Wong <hajime@asunaro.dhs.org> writes:
>> For Chinese, there are 2 main locales, one for Traditional Chinese
>> and one for Simplified Chinese. The locales are zh_CN.GB2312 and
>> zh_TW.Big5 respectively.

These are reversed: GB2312 is simplified, and Big5 is traditional.

Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp> writes:
> The value zh_* for Chinese is a bit surprise to me because I
> expected it as ch_* or cn_* :-)

It's language_COUNTRY, and language and country codes are separate.
("zh" is the ISO 639 language code for Chinese, "ch" is the country
code for Switzerland, "cn" is the country code for China).  RFC2165
also has the list of language codes.

-ccwf