Re: `~/.xemacs/{init,.options}.el' (Was: Re: [XEmacs] New Maintainer, soonish.)

    Jan> Karl, did you miss the whole "Debian packagers do their own
    Jan> thing flamefest?

 There's only so much time in a day.  I've pile of books I want to
 read, exercises to do in them, and I've got to eat, which means doing
 a job as well.  Reading a flamewar isn't a high priority, sorry.

    >> I disagree, and will ship the package with the modification.
    >> Don't bother filing a bug about it...  This is a minor change,
    >> not a hairy major code fork.  It's not a meaningful political
    >> act, just part of the job I'm doing.

    Jan> No. This is a MAJOR user interface change. And frankly, I
    Jan> think it is _not_ part of the job you are doing. If you want
    Jan> to help develop XEmacs thats more than OK with me. But please
    Jan> use the regular channels for that and not use your position
    Jan> as a Debian for that.

 I don't think it's a major change.  It's a small patch.  It's not
 complicated.  It's not extensive.

    >> I will, after developing something that works and looks good,
    >> submit patches "upstream", for certain.  They will be reviewed,
    >> and perhaps will become part of XEmacs 21.2 or 21.3, depending
    >> upon timeing and whatever-it-takes.  It's not a strange new
    >> idea.

    Jan> No it isn't. Including your experimental patches in a major
    Jan> distribution is. Even more if you are going to ignore bug
    Jan> reports about it. Distribution packages are not the right
    Jan> place to do beta testing.

 It's silly to expect newbies (there will be many installing the
 package) to edit `~/.emacs/' codes, and to maintain two branches
 inside of it to cope with both GNU Emacs and XEmacs.  Granted, they
 will likely stick to one or the other, but will try both to begin
 with.

    Jan> Note that the issues here are _not_ easy to solve (you do
    Jan> know that what you describe was in the XEmacs betas once and
    Jan> was taken out again, do you?).

 Yes...  I missed the `why' part.  Why was it taken out?  (I will
 spend a few minutes looking for that in the archive... <sigh> I WILL
 NOT work late today.  My health is more GD important than sitting
 here working for no income.  I have studies I want to complete also.)

    >> At any rate...  I really ought to be working on the thing
    >> instead of inspiring flame wars over it and wasting our
    >> development/study time on email.

    Jan> No you _need_ to spend time on email first. You _need_ to
    Jan> discuss the design.

 I will send the patch for review (to xemacs-patches); I'll try and
 get to it today so yous can view it.