Re: `~/.xemacs/{init,.options}.el' (Was: Re: [XEmacs] New Maintainer, soonish.)

Karl, did you miss the whole "Debian packagers do their own thing
flamefest?

 >  I disagree, and will ship the package with the modification.  Don't
 >  bother filing a bug about it...  This is a minor change, not a hairy
 >  major code fork.  It's not a meaningful political act, just part of
 >  the job I'm doing.

No. This is a MAJOR user interface change. And frankly, I think it is
_not_ part of the job you are doing. If you want to help develop
XEmacs thats more than OK with me. But please use the regular channels
for that and not use your position as a Debian for that.

 >  I will, after developing something that works and looks good, submit
 >  patches "upstream", for certain.  They will be reviewed, and perhaps
 >  will become part of XEmacs 21.2 or 21.3, depending upon timeing and
 >  whatever-it-takes.  It's not a strange new idea.

No it isn't. Including your experimental patches in a major
distribution is. Even more if you are going to ignore bug reports
about it. Distribution packages are not the right place to do beta testing.

Note that the issues here are _not_ easy to solve (you do know that
what you describe was in the XEmacs betas once and was taken out
again, do  you?).

 >  At any rate...  I really ought to be working on the thing instead of
 >  inspiring flame wars over it and wasting our development/study time
 >  on email.

No you _need_ to spend time on email first. You _need_ to discuss the
design.

Jan (at) xemacs.org