Re: Intent to Package: bladeenc 0.81

Brian Ristuccia wrote:
> How does the patented technology in bladeenc affect Debian more than the
> patented technology in gimp-nonfree? Does some sort of universal grant of
> rights apply to the LZW patent that is not present for the mp3 technology in
> bladeenc? I'm confused about why it even belongs in non-us.

One difference at least is that the Fraunhofer Gesellschaft (FHG)
is sueing people for distributing an MP3 encoder.  Not quite sure
what they were exactly lamenting about but I should be able to grab
out the letter they sent me because one of my users had places an
encoder on my ftp server.

If the author is sure that he's safe about sueing from FHG it is most safe
to place the .deb files there as well.

Regards,

	Joey