Re: FreeLinux (Debian/GNU BSD)

On Sat, Jul 10, 1999 at 11:33:25PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 09, 1999 at 09:17:14AM -0700, Nate wrote:
> > There was a pretty long thread a few months ago, where debian
> > linux developers discussed incorporating the the FreeBSD kernel
> > into the debian software distribution.
> >
> > There is already Debian/GNU Linux, and Debian/GNU HURD.  I believe
> > there may be people working on this now.  I for one, would welcome
> > a debian distribution based on the freebsd kernel.
> >
> > I've used both freebsd and debian linux and I see the following problems
> > with each.
>
> But Nate, who would run such a system?
>
> I suspect FreeBSD users are quite happy with their user-space tools
> (like their own BSD fileutils, not the GNU ones, etc) and their ports
> system. I haven't found the ports system to be inferior to our packages,
> just different (I have 3.2-RELEASE installed here).
>
> I suspect Linux users are quite happy with Debian GNU/Linux as is stands
> now. I'm not interested in a flamewar, but I suspect that very few users
> would notice any difference between the kernels in terms of reliability,
> if indeed any difference at all.

	This is most of it.  Linux by itself is just a unixesque
	kernel so that a linuxBSD or debianBSD would not be much
	more than a merger of the Berkeley kernel|networking with
	all the GNU tools.

	If the Debian effort were to roll in additions like the
	STREAMS clone code (plus) hacked in the myriad drivers
	that Linux has (hmm, good and bad, really)---Nate, if this
	Debian|BSD concept was this, then you might be able to
	put together a Core team.

	Simply: a lotta work...

	gary

--