Re: FreeLinux (Debian/GNU BSD)

GO AGS!

I'm a UCD alum.  Now I'm a law student in Sacramento.  Cool.

I'll be going to the Linux Users Group of Davis next Tuesday.

See http://www.lugod.org for time and place.

First off, if you are really interested in this project, you
should take a look at the mailing list archives at www.debian.org.

There was a pretty long thread a few months ago, where debian
linux developers discussed incorporating the the FreeBSD kernel
into the debian software distribution.

There is already Debian/GNU Linux, and Debian/GNU HURD.  I believe
there may be people working on this now.  I for one, would welcome
a debian distribution based on the freebsd kernel.

I've used both freebsd and debian linux and I see the following problems
with each.

1. FreeBSD's kernel kicks ass, but the ports system is not nearly
as sophisticated as the debian .deb package format.

2. Debian Linux's package format kicks ass, but the linux kernel
is not nearly as stable as the freebsd kernel (IMHO).  If we could combine
the .deb package format with the freebsd kernel, I do believe one would
have absolutely the most stable, most versatile, most sophisticated
operating system on the whole damn planet.  If you are a developer
(I'm not so I've settled on debian, but I monitor freebsd's progress),
I do not believe it would be too monumental of a task to port debian
packages over to freebsd's kernel.  I would probably be a simple matter
of recompiling the packages and altering a few debian .diff files. I would
help if I had some guidance, (cause I have 5 computers so I have machines
to compile on).  If you are interested, lets get something going. I live
only 20 miles away from you and we could meet at lugod meetings.

I'm going to forward this message over to the debian lists...

Hope to hear from you soon.

nate

On Fri, Jul 09, 1999 at 07:29:31AM -0700, Greg Shenaut wrote:
> I've not used Linux, but I've been told that there is considerable
> difference among the several principal variants.  Once a bunch of
> user software has been installed over the net, from the user's
> point of view (and to some extent, the adminstrator's), is FreeBSD
> more or less different from the Linux variants as they are from
> each other?  And if the answer is that they are all pretty similar,
> then perhaps a customized version of FreeBSD could be prepared that
> emphasizes the similarities, distributed as FreeLinux or LinuxBSD.
> (I'm thinking in terms of a FreeBSD kernel with a Linux API in
> front, a reshuffled directory hierarchy, and several of the more
> prominent Linux applications--sort of a Linux emulation on steroids.)
>
> Why?  You ask, "Why?!"
>
> I'm curious as to how many users would be attracted to a product
> incorporating the "Linux" handle, plus greater out-of-the box Linux
> compatibility, compared to more or less the same thing without it.
>
> After all,
>     What's in a name? That which we call a rose
>     By any other name would smell as sweet.
>
> -Greg Shenaut

                                _
NatePuri ("natedawg")		o m p a g e s . c o m
Certified Law Student  		p e r c r v t i o f i
McGeorge School of Law 		e d i c a e a n m   n
Sacramento, CA			n i v e t r y   m   d
publisher@ompages.com  		  a a s e y s t u   s
n8fs0n@softcom.net		    t s d o   h n
http://www.ompages.com		    e     n   i i