Re: IDEA to SERIOUSLY reduce download times!

On Thu, Jul 08, 1999 at 11:39:04PM -0400, Daniel Burrows was heard to say:
>   Excellent thought.  This prompted me to look up something that I
> remembered, and I was correct.  (whew! :) ) This is not (mostly) a problem,
> thanks to xdelta.  From the xdelta man page...
>
>      Patch
>        The patch subcommand has the following synopsis:
>
>        xdelta patch [ option...  ] patch [ from [ to ]]
>
>        Applies patch  to  from.   If  from  was  omitted,  XDelta
>        attempts to use the file with the original from file name.
>        The from file must be identical to the one used to  create
>        the delta.  Its MD5 checksum is used to verify this condi­
>        tion.  The constructed file will be written to  to  unless
>        to  is  named  "-"  or  the original to file name if to is
>        omitted.

  Just to reply to myself...

  I've been playing around with xdelta, and it appears to do something
interesting: it only complains about modified files if the modifications
would prevent it from correctly patching the file.  That is, if I make a
patch which would replace a character, and then modify that character,
xdelta will replace the character with the correct one anyway.  (in fact
this is how I'm testing it :-) )  I'm not sure if this is good or not.
If it isn't we can use the md5sum stored in the patch file to verify stuff
before patching it.

  Daniel

--
I haven't lost my mind, I know exactly where I left it.