Re: IDEA to SERIOUSLY reduce download times!

On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, John Travers wrote:

> Is there a way to make patches between package updates/upgrades. i.e. the way
> the kernel is done? So instead of downloading whole new binaries, we could just
> download source patches and recompile the package...
>
> I have sent this idea before...
>
> Any possibility?

There is a faint hope.. The best way to go about this is to design a new
transfer protocol that can do the rsync method on the INTERIOR of gzip
compressed files, this is not a trivial thing, but if someone can
demonstrate it working then there is hope :>

Some variations are rsyncing the files in a gzip .deb using the local
files and other stuff like that - all very doable, but difficult.

I think you will understand why we do not distribute binary patches of our
binary packages, that would rapidly get huge an unmanagable.

Jason