Re: ITP: shtool

On Fri, Jul 09, 1999 at 12:34:30PM +0200, Falk Hueffner wrote:
> Torsten Landschoff <t.landschoff@gmx.net> writes:
>
> > As I noted before I would like to package shtool. I tried it out and it seems
> > to be a lot of fun :-)
> >
> >   It currently contains the following tools:
> >
> >   echo       Print string with optional construct expansion
> > [...]
>
> Will these tools really be installed with those names? I. e. are they
> intended to be replacements for the usual tools? I wouldn't really
> like that, since that would make it difficult to package, and could
> break scripts. Perhaps you could just prefix all commands with
> "shtools" or similar ("path" e. g. is a bit too generic for my taste).
>
> 	Falk

The tools *will not* be installed with names like echo or mkdir. You always
have to call them with "shtool echo" etc. The actual shell scripts for
echo, etc of shtool will reside in /usr/share/shtool
You probably will not need this package unless you develop your own
software. These are not replacement tools for the generic shell
commands.

By the way, both Torsten Landschoff and I expressed interest in
packaging shtool in -devel. Since then we have gotten in touch, and he
has graciously accepted that I could be the maintainer. Expect an
upload soon.

Gopal.

Gopal Narayanan                          Ph #: (413) 545 0925
Five College Radio Astronomy Observatory Fax#: (413) 545 4223
University of Massachusetts              e-mail: gopal@fcrao1.phast.umass.edu
Amherst MA 01003