Re: EXTREMELY OT: What MTA is this?

Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca> writes:

> On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Michael Beattie wrote:
>
> > Sorry for the noise....
>
> TIS FWTK (Fire Wall Toolkit) SMTP proxy I'll wager

No, TIS isn't this funny.  The fact that the initial response is a joke:

  220 sun.dhis.org SMTP ready, Who are you gonna pretend to be today?

probably indicates that this host doesn't really accept mail at all
(Unless that mail actually arrived), and in fact has an amusing little
SMTP emulator, which probably just logs your details as a looser who
is attempting to relay.

Of course, you gave away the fact that you were typing this by hand in
several ways.  They could have been checking for telnet connections,
you wouldn't be typing quickly enough to look like a real SMTP
connection, and you failed to put the addresses in <angle brackets>,
so perhaps it drops into a custom mail rejecter when those alarms go
off.

> We used to have it packaged, but not any more I think.

It's got a dodgy license, so we had to remove it.

Cheers, Phil.