Re: Berlin & FSSTND/FHS

On Sat, Jul 03, 1999 at 12:59:01AM -0400, Jordan Mendelson wrote:
> Tamas TEVESZ wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, Robert Thomson wrote:
> >
> >     /usr/bin/X11 -> /usr/X11R6/bin
> >     /usr/lib/X11 -> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11
> >     /usr/include/X11 -> /usr/X11R6/include/X11
You're really screwing the quoting up here. ;)

> 	/usr/bin/Berlin/ 	-	Berlin Applications
> 	/usr/lib/Berlin/	-	Berlin Libraries
> 	/usr/include/Berlin/	- 	Berlin Headers
> 	/usr/share/Berlin	-	Berlin Static Data

I find it very difficult to believe that people would accept Berlin in /usr.
/usr isn't, and shouldn't be, a place for dumping GUI's.

> While the old Unix semantics for filesystem hierarchy are very useful for small
> console applications which do not typically contain much more than system
> utilities, I feel them strongly lacking for larger, more complex applications.
One word: Bah!

> Is it better to scatter a software application distribution throughout a
> hierarchy instead of putting it into a single directory in /opt?
In my opinion, yes..

It brings conformity to a distribution which would otherwise be unmanagable.

> And finally, has anyone given any serious thought to just dropping the Unix
> filesystem hierarchy standard and starting over?

<sarcasm>
Hmm. Great idea. Let's do it... How about <looks at watch> NOW. Okay all,
we've changed. See, wasn't hard, was it?  By the way, we no longer have
directories.. They're called "folders". Got that? Change all the
documentation.
</sarcasm>
I'm sure people have - but ideas along the lines of FHS seem to prevail..

> The reason I ask is because Berlin will have a whole lot of files and I mean, a
> whole lot. I'm not sure people really want us polluting the global namespace
> with them.

If they aren't all necessary for the user to run directly, I suggest sticking
them in the /usr/lib/berlin* directories and referencing them there (no, not
with $PATH) - but I'm unsure of Debian policy regarding this.

Regards,
	Rob.

--
 Robert Thomson -- Just call me Sir  -=|   UNIX is user friendly.  |=-