Re: Berlin & FSSTND/FHS

On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 09:52:42PM -0400, Alex Yukhimets wrote:
> Well, I have been waiting for this for a long-long time :)
> GNUstep argument doesn't hold up as GNUstep is just another X application,
> whereas Berlin is an alternative to X windowing system (don't know how viable
> though).  I am all for creating /usr/Berlin. This will allow to have several
> binaries of the same GUI program (say netscape, lyx, gftp, or whatever) to
> be compiled to either X libs or Berlin libs and placed to /usr/X11R6/bin/
> and /usr/Berlin/bin (or whatever) accordingly.

/usr/X11* is there for historic reasons - nothing more.  I'm sure there are
thousands of applications that are hard-coded to use /usr/X11R6/*, which
changing this would break everything.

Otherwise, it would be integrated into the standard naming scheme.

Btw, how is Berlin going?  Still using CORBA for strings? <snicker, grin>

Do they have a complete widget set yet?  Are any useful applications using it
yet?

Regards,
	Rob.

--
 Robert Thomson -- Just call me Sir  -=|   UNIX is user friendly.  |=-