Re: Moving contrib and non-free of master.debian.org

On Wed, Jun 30, 1999 at 01:25:59AM +0200, Remco Blaakmeer wrote:

> I think there should be Official Debian CDs with non-US programs on them.
> The images for these CDs would of course need to be on a host outside the
> USA. That way, people that don't live in the USA will not have the problem
> of not getting non-US on CD. Why should the whole world suffer from a
> stupid law that exists in only one country?

This may be, but if there is only one Official Debian CD image, it
should not have any of non-US on it.

One of the nice things about Debian is that the main set is free of
any legal encumbrances.  You don't have to worry with that set about
"who can I give it to" or "can I make a copy" or "can I sell a copy"
or any other legal questions like these.

I wouldn't have a problem with having two Official images: one with
and one without non-US.  Heck, I wouldn't even have a problem with
having an Official and "depreciated" or "crippled" version, where the
Official version had all of non-US/main.  I think the law is stupid,
too.

But I also want to have some confidence that, were I to run a big
Linux giveaway of some kind, I could burn lots of copies of the
Official CD and hand them out like candy - without the hassle of
checking passports, birth certificates, or green cards.  I'm sure
CheapBytes and the like appreciate that they don't have to set up
export controls on their online stores.