Re: Postfix as default MTA?

Steve Lamb wrote:
>    Slink just switched to Exim as the default mailer.  Do we really think it
>is needed to change default mailers *again* within 1-2 versions?

I'm the person who filed the bug against ftp.debian.org to make exim the
default, so I think I should speak up here.

One of the main arguments *against* switching from smail to exim was that
vmailer would be released shortly (the discussion took place before the
name change).

The counterargument was that postfix would not be suitable for the
task of being debian's default mailer when it was first released anyway.
This argument probably still holds true.

When is potato gonna be frozen anyway? If there's enough time for postfix to
stabilize itself, then we should move to it for potato. Obviously the
postfix maintainer should have a large say in this.

If not, we'll just release potato with exim. No big deal.

I don't think switching default mailers *again* is really a big concern,
that attitude is the reason we didn't adopt exim until slink (IMHO it should
have been standard LONG LONG ago, then we wouldn't be having this
conversation).
--
Robert Woodcock - rcw@debian.org
"Yes I do believe there is a violent thing inside of me" -- Everclear