Re: Postfix as default MTA?

"EXT AVS; Bdale Garbee" wrote:

> In article <[🔎] 19990628224759.B5479@molehole> you wrote:
>
> > Of course, I won't object if the Debian default is all things to all
> > people. But I don't think it needs to be such.
>
> I think we're in the happy situation of not having to make a choice between
> functionality and configuration.
>
> Postfix rocks.  The Debian package defaults are fine in most cases (not just
> "simple" machines).  And I echo the performance comments.  I, too, have been
> able to cancel pending hardware upgrades after moving moderate to heavy mail
> load machines to postfix.  The queue design is marvelous.  Even just the simple
> notion that previously undeliverable mail shouldn't be allowed to choke out
> new mail that hasn't been tried yet makes a *huge* difference in delivery
> performance on large relays.
>
> The sooner Postfix is the Debian default mailer, the better.
>
> Bdale

As another guy said. "Exim is the only MTA so far that I have been able to
figure
out at all"  His statement holds for me too.

Exim is pretty weak when it comes to UUCP, it's possible though to make a simple
UUCP leaf node with the help of some FAQ. Debian serial communication via modem
is very well taken care of (UUCP/MGETTY/VGETTY/PPP...) and they cooperate
very well on the same serial line.

I have not yet figured out how to make Exim send mail via UUCP for just some
domains in order to run a small UUCP network between my fellow Linux buddies.
The other domains should be handled by SMTP.

As the result of the discussion on this mailinglist I checked the postfix FAQ
and there it was, a simple description on how to configure postfix to handle
UUCP
mail to get exactly what I need. A strong point in my opinion if it really
works.

//Gunnar