Re: Postfix as default MTA?

Le 1999-06-28, Steve Lamb écrivait :

> Personally I see nothing about Postfix which makes it more secure than Exim
> in any regard.

The reasons why I see Postfix as more secure than Exim are the following:
  - Postfix was designed with security in mind from the beginning;
    although Exim was much improved in this respect, security
    was not a major concern at the beginning of its development.
    Philip Hazel, author of Exim, explains this point at
      http://www.deja.com/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=432082346.

  - In the security model of Postfix, no program has ever to
    trust the input it gets from another. Postfix divides
    the MTA's functionality into several binaries, only one
    of which has to run as root in order to be able to
    bind to the SMTP port. No Postfix binary is set-uid root.

I am also quite reassured by Wietse Venema's long and recognised
experience in writing UNIX security software.

Thomas.

--
    Thomas.Quinot@Cuivre.FR.EU.ORG   <URL:http://web.fdn.fr/~tquinot/>