Re: YADA Build-Depends support

Edward Betts <edward@debian.org> writes:
> On debian-devel, Samuel Tardieu <sam@debian.org> wrote:

> > You should consider using YADA, which checks this automatically by using
> > a Build-Depends field in the debian/packages file.
>
> Oh, that sounds interesting. I always use debhelper myself. Would it be
> possible to explain how the Build-Depends field works in YADA so it could be
> intergrated into other Debain build tools like debhelper.
>
> Maybe have a dh_checkdeps package.
>
> Or should source-depends be in dpkg-buildpackage? I suppose we
> should just sit back and wait for DPKGv2.

Actually, for porters, this problem has been solved *in* *practice*
with andrea, which is a very clever system which combines an automated
system for determining dependancies with a manual override system,
which is platform sensitive.  This is in use and it works.  It's part
of wanna-build, and part of the system which m68k, ppc, and sparc
folks (at least) use to keep ports up-to-date.