Re: Automatically closing bugs

I agree with everything Andreas has to say. I am very lucky if I find the
time to read the current policy statements even once a year. I don't have
the time to follow policy, and beary have the time to read Joey's very
fine weekly report.

The problem seems to be that we are all in this boat, and no-one has the
time to follow all the processes going on in Debian so that an up-to-date
list of "recent" changes to the development process can be posted in a
very visible spot on the web page for developers to use to keep track.

Even just a simple outline of the development steps in a package cycle,
with the important recent changes noted clearly in this outline, would go
a long way toward keeping us all on the same page.

I know that the people "in the know" about such things, can submit bug
reports against the offending packages, quoting the pertinant portions of
policy, but this seems like a poor use of the BTS unless there is some
automatic way to submit policy changes throught the BTS that makes sense.
But, 2500 new bug reports for every policy change seems a bit ...
aggressive?

As you can see, I don't really have a solution that is very good, or that
I can provide. I would be very pleased if there were someone in the group
who follows policy, vote, discuss, (any I've forgotten), who could post
decissions arrived at on these lists in a clean way that the rest of us
could gain "tracking" knowledge from and thereby keep our individual
knowledge bases up-to-date. This probably sounds a lot like the weekly
news report that Joey does, but that's not quite what I'm looking for.
This should be a single page synopsys of general package construction that
covers all the steps a developer should take when building a Debian
package, specificly denoting the places where recent policy would require
a new or different activity on the part of the developer.

If I had access to a document like that, which was kept current with
policy, I would only need to go check over that list before doing package
work, and could then make sure that the package I'm working on is done
correctly. When a particular change happens, and I don't understand the
synopsis, there should be clear reference to the policy section or other
documentation so that I can go read that for more information.

I don't know how many other people besides myself and Andreas have this
particular difficulty, but the person who "fixes" this will get resounding
applause from the two of us, at the very least ;-)

Waiting is,