Re: XEmacs 21

gusl@cse.unsw.edu.au (Gus) writes:

> On Wed, Jun 23, 1999 at 12:34:43AM +0200, Paul Seelig wrote:
> > dres@ioa.com (James LewisMoss) writes:
> > > I'm uploading XEmacs 21.1.2 packages to master as I write this.
> > > Anyone interested please take a look and let me know what elisp
> > > packages you use frequently and you see missing.
>
> i'd be happy if i could use the funky built-in download-your-own
> packages feature, but it bombs out with:
>
>  Symbol's value as variable is void: allow-remote-paths

That's probably because the Debian XEmacs21 lacks even the most basic
packages "xemacs-base-1.xx-pkg.tar.gz" and "efs-1.xx-pkg.tar.gz".
Give the maintainer some time to find out how to make a good XEmacs21
package - it's not easy at all...

> i'd suggest putting together bundles of xemacs packages, like:
>  C/C++(/java?) devel modes
>  shell/perl modes
>  sgml/html/xml modes
>  tex (auctex, x-symbol?) modes
>  gnus
>  w3
>  etc

Add to that "efs-1.xx-pkg.tar.gz" and "xemacs-base-1.xx-pkg.tar.gz"
and i'd be happy.  I'm currently compiling it myself with almost all
the packages i found at ftp.xemacs.org.  It's simply nice to have it
all included.
                                 Cheers, P. *8^)
--