Re: md5 package summaries on ftp server (was Re: System integrity)

In article <[🔎] 19990623161151.A1560@ormond.unimelb.edu.au> you write:
>  Each package can contain a DEBIAN/md5sums file.  This is normally saved
>  into /var/lib/dpkg/info on the local machine.  What I propose is to
>  instead extract this information during dinstall, and save is to a
>  <package>-<version>.md5sums file, to live alongside the .deb on the debian
>  ftp server.  (Alternatively, they could be collected into 1 file, like
>  the package list).
>
>  A version of debsums could then be implemented to connect to the debian
>  server (or trusted mirror) and use these .md5sums files to verify the
>  majority of the files on a system.  The debsums utility could also be
>  moved to a boot disk, to guarantee secure operation given a potentially
>  damaged machine.

Here are my suggestions - I hope this makes sense to someone:

1. Somebody else recently said (on this mailing list) that md5sums can
be "faked" by increasing the length of the file. Hence I would store the
file length in the md5sum file (like with the *.changes file and *.dsc
file).

2. I would also get the maintainer/uploader to sign the file using
PGP/GPG...

3. This file would also need to contain entries for files in DEBIAN/*
(otherwise somebody could but rm -rf / in the preinst routine and
nothing else would matter).

4. Also, I probably would seperate config files from non-config files,
so you can check the security of the binaries when installed without a
lot of errors about the changed config files.

I previously said something like this here on this mailing list, but
nobody replied. Does that mean I messed up sending the message?

--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>