Re: Moving contrib and non-free of master.debian.org

In article <[🔎] 19990622175333.B8182@quango2.watervalley.net>,
Chris Lawrence  <quango@watervalley.net> wrote:

> I thought the intent of the proposal *was* to make non-free software
> harder to find... or at least harder to confuse with main.

I don't see the point. The non-free stuff is already in its own tree
on the servers. Moving it to another host would just mean that
everybody who wants to be offered non-free gets to change maybe a
dozen characters in their /etc/apt/sources.list instead of half a
dozen (assuming that it is set up by default not to include
non-free). After that, the situation is back to where it always was;
the only difference is that all the mirrors need to be reconfigured.
I'd say as long as we are relying on the mirror administrators'
courtesy to offer space for Debian we might as well save them the
extra work.

Anselm