Re: XEmacs 21

On Wed, Jun 23, 1999 at 02:18:56AM +0200, Paul Seelig wrote:
> Yes, i do know of all the present Emacs LISP packages, but are these
> really *supposed* to work for XEmacs21 as well?  I've downloaded the
> auctex package from potato but it didn't install because no emacs19/20
> was present and neither XEmacs20 nor XEmacs21 were good enough
> obviously.

I just dealt with this a week or two back.  See, the following directory
exists on my system:

/usr/lib/xemacs-20.4/lisp/auctex/

Further confirmation is:

---------

glenstorm@galileo$ dpkg -S /usr/lib/xemacs-20.4/lisp/auctex/tex.elc
xemacs20-support: /usr/lib/xemacs-20.4/lisp/auctex/tex.elc

---------

In short, all of those packages are included in the default xemacs
installation under Debian.  Look at /usr/lib/xemacs-20.4/lisp/<package>
and you'll find most have a README or somesuch.  For auc, you just need a

(require 'tex-site)

in your .emacs to activate the built-in auc-tex package.  The emacs
packaging in Debian is somewhat more modular, as you have noted -- but
Xemacs under Debian (for better or for worse) fulfills its "editor and
kitchen sink" description.

--
Anderson MacKay <mackay@rice.edu>