Unidentified subject!

Joey and I have talked about this problem in the past (possibly as long as
a month ago) and I thought I had it resolved when it bit me again today.

The problem is that at some unexpected time, slrn decides that all of its
groups are bogus and from that point forward you cannot get slrn to
subscribe to, or even recognize the existance of, news groups that _can_
in fact be seen on the server with no problems. (using telnet and issuing
commands by hand you can even get postings from the server, but it isn't
the recommended method ;-)

When this problem occured in the past, I was also having trouble with a
couple of other programs that were seg faulting all of a sudden, when they
had never done that before. It turned out that upgrading those programs
fixed their problems, and upgrading slrn seemed to fix its problem as
well, until today.

While it is no large problem to reconfigure with the "create" function of
slrn, it _is_ time consuming to do so, and specially so when I am now
certain that it will just choose some, most inconvenient, time to fail.

Even if this only happens 10 times a year, I don't want to have to budget
even that much time out of my busy schedule, so I'm looking for the "real"
problem and its solution.

While it is only a "gut" feeling at the moment, I am pretty certain that
this is something that slrn is doing to itself, rather than some perculiar
behaviour on the part of my ISPs server, even if my parnoia suggests a
devious plot on his part to keep me from important news groups ;-)

My problem is that I am currently without an attack strategy. Joey says
that he has never seen another report of this problem, so my karma has
struck again... If this is only happening to me because of some perculiar
situation I have created on my machine, this doesn't reduce my desire to
find the "fix", and I am hoping that your interest in solving this problem
isn't dampened by the fact that I am the only one effected.

If anyone has any ideas, I am principaly interested in finding the
"control bit" that slrn is locking in the rc file that is causing this
effect. It should be pretty simple to just run a sed script on the rc file
before I start slrn, to insure that the "bit" is set correctly.

Of course the better solution would be to figure out why slrn sets the bit
in the first place, and make it "stop doing that".

All ideas welcome,

Dwarf