Re: Why was exim selcted as the default MTA?

On Tue, Jun 15, 1999 at 06:59:26PM +0200, Paul Slootman was heard to say:
> > even if your ISP did accept the mail from a bogus address, it is likely
> > that your recipient's mailer will reject it - and you would never know
> > because there is no valid address to bounce it to.
> >
> > the solution is to get yourself one of the free dynamic dns hostnames
> > (e.g. dhis.org) and configure exim to use that...you'll have a hostname
> > which is valid for your internal network and on the internet.
>
> You don't have to do that; all that's required to prevent the reject
> listed above is to supply a correct from address in the envelope. Note I
> say "envelope", and not "from header". I'm assuming that you can also
> receive email, right? So, fill in the host part from that (i.e. ibm.net)
> for the envelope (you can let exim rewrite the envelope and leave the
> rest alone).
>
> You'll run into this problem no matter what MTA you use, BTW; only
> alternative is to delivery directly (and not use a smarthost). However,
> the remote systems you'll be connecting to, will mostly also want to see
> a resolvable domain in the envelope from.

  Just out of curiosity, how do Windows programs (eg, Eudora) handle this
problem?  Is it possible to do a reverse lookup on the IP address and use
the name you get from that, or are more devious measures needed? :-)

  Daniel

--
  Whoever created the human body left in a fairly basic design flaw.  It has a
tendency to bend at the knees.

             -- Terry Pratchett, _Men at Arms_