Re: netscape status?

In article <[🔎] 14178.32624.855774.58984B@lavender.debian.gr.jp>,
Fumitoshi UKAI  <ukai@debian.or.jp> wrote:
>At 12 Jun 1999 04:17:26 -0400,
>Amy Fong <uwd38znr@umail.furryterror.org> wrote:
>
>> I hate to bring Redhat into this but their netscape package actually
>> uses a wrap-around script to work around some of the libc6 2.1 bugs. I have
>> been using a modified version of it to work with my potato system and it's
>> been behaving pretty well so far.
>
>If RedHat one really fixes the problems, it should not be bug of libc 2.1,
>but bug of Netscape or Motif.  Please try
>/usr/lib/netscape/base-ja-4/libnsfix-wcsmbs.so
>in netscape-base-ja-4 package, which you can find in Debian JP Packages,
>for examples
> ftp://ftp.debian.or.jp/debian-jp/dists/potato-jp/contrib/binary-i386/web/
> ftp://ftp.debian.or.jp/debian-jp/dists/potato-jp/contrib/source/web/

Trying... will get back to you later...

>You think this preload library shows very strange behavior against
>its specification, however it makes very much stable than original netscape
>navigator, we think.
>
>If it fixes most of your problems, please merge it to debian package.
>
>Regards,
>Fumitoshi UKAI

Well, it causes netscape not to crash just about everytime when you try
to close a window but there's still lots of netscape bugs which will
cause it to crash every now and then. libc 2.1 does seem to like
crashing alot of stuph alot... something with the way it's doing malloc/free
or something like that from what I heard *grumble* *grumble* (just my
speculation)

I think the script makes netscape more usable but it doesn't totally
solve the problem - reduces my crashing by like 75-80%. Argh, it's like,
you hold your breath hoping it won't crash!

Amy
--
"We Suzaku Seishi aren't smart enough to give up!!!"  Tasuki (Fushigi Yuugi)

I don't speak for anyone but myself.
              Amy Fong (afong@furryterror.org)