Re: KDE liscence question

Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> writes:

> Goswin Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
>
> > Thats the brainddead part of gpl and to make the GPL less
> > "antisocial", defining main as the major components of the Debian
> > system, which they are anyway, is the right thing in my view.
> > If "major components" are defined that way, we can distribute kde with
> > debian, because it then only links against a major component (qt),
> > which is allowed. Since kde is distributed as single bz2/rpm/deb files
> > and qt is distributed by Troll, qt doesnt count as acompaning kde.
> > All of this of causes needs a qt in main.
>
> Doh!
>
> If KDE is in main, and Qt is in main then they are being distributed
> together, which is not allowed.

Hmm, debian only redistributs it...
I wonder what other programs that are GPL link against non-GPL
libs. There are probably several in main that do.

> KDE is still not distributable under the GPL, despite the QPL.  Q.E.D.

Without kde debian will look bad against other distributions. I don't
use it myself, except kdegames, but people will choose other
distributions in favour of debian because of kde. Somehow there must
be a way to get KDE into Debian without violating the gpl.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin