Re: weekly policy summary

[thread transplanted from -policy.]

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
>         I think that is not our goal. No dependencies, yes. No
>  refences, no.

Actually, I think that all links between non-free and main should be
*from* non-free *to* main. And, while I understand and sympathize with
the free software purists, that is not at all my point.

One reason is the same reason we don't have links from base into
optional: it makes the system easier to understand.

The other reason is the same reason we have non-free in the first
place: we want Debian to be useful to our users.  If we give non-free
any kind of priority over third party software (other than locating
it on our ftp servers) I think we're doing everybody a disservice.

However, the reason for things being the way they are takes precedence,
at least till it's fixed:  Dpkg does not yet have the facilities it
takes to support fully support this kind of organization.  And, until
it does, we have to make do..

--
Raul