Re: weekly policy summary

On Jun 06, Wichert Akkerman <wichert@cs.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:

 >>   * Proposal to allow software that depends on software in non-us into
 >>     main (currently restricted to contrib).
 >>     ( This may be unnecessary given the recent re-org of non-us. )
 >
 >I'm not sure I like this one. This would mean that main is no longer
 >self-contained, which I would consider a bad thing. I wonder if it
This is wrong. main/non-US is still part of main.
The CD sold in the US would not be self contained, but having to
download the non exportable packages is still better than having to
download them AND the packages depending on them.

 >would be a better idea to move those package from contrib to non-US/main
 >so we can have both self-contained main and main+non-US/main CD's?
It would not. Out of the USA there are no cheap CD resellers, so nobody
would make main+non-US/main CDs and users would have to download even
exportable packages.

--
ciao,
Marco