Re: Anacron (was: Add "nice -10" to /etc/crontab run-parts comma

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Sarel Botha wrote:

> > > Is there any way to track any signs of the system being busy (keys, mouse,
> > > system load, perhaps others) and start jobs during idle times? That would be
> > > a very nice alternative to cron and anacron!
> >
> > This would be very tricky.
>
> I think you only need to monitor cpu usage, not keyboard and mouse. If you're
> doing nothing the cpu load will be low. If you're away from the computer and
> you left it running some cpu-intensive program, you wouldn't want cron jobs to
> run then either.

I run a number crunching program (see http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm)
in the background (with 'nice -20 ...'), but that doesn't mean the mostly
disk-intensive cron jobs shouldn't be run.

If you want to see if there is somebody sitting at the console, you'll
have to find a way to monitor keyboard and mouse usage.

Remco
--
rd1936: 12:00am  up 14 days, 15:30,  5 users,  load average: 1.09, 1.30, 1.33