Re: Anacron (was: Add "nice -10" to /etc/crontab run-parts comma

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Sarel Botha wrote:

>> > Is there any way to track any signs of the system being busy (keys, mouse,
>> > system load, perhaps others) and start jobs during idle times? That would be
>> > a very nice alternative to cron and anacron!
>> >

>> This would be very tricky.
>
>I think you only need to monitor cpu usage, not keyboard and mouse. If you're
>doing nothing the cpu load will be low. If you're away from the computer and
>you left it running some cpu-intensive program, you wouldn't want cron jobs to
>run then either.

Unfortunately, the nature of most sittin-in-front-of-the-computer use is
that it's usually sporatic:  Spikes of activity when you open emacs, but
acutally typing that doc requires little use.  Unless you want to do
some averaging or something...

nice takes care of this well :)  if nothing is happening, it tears on
full blast, but if you want to start netscape, it steps aside while you
do so.  (guess you can tell how I feel about this topic)

					-Michael

  Michael Stenner			Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics	  mstenner@phy.duke.edu
  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305