Re: little? apt suggestion

MoiN

Do not invent the wheel again. The main part of your idea has allready
been packaged for debian:

Package: netselect
 This is netselect, an ultrafast intelligent parallelizing binary-search
 implementation of "ping."  You give it a (possibly very long) list of
 servers, and it chooses the fastest/closest one automatically.  It's good
 for finding the fastest ftp.debian.org mirror, the least laggy IRC server,
 or the best Squid neighbour.

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Will Lowe wrote:
> > How about an apt-get command that retrieves a list of mirrors and pings them
> > all to get an idea of the speed and then adds a line to sources.list for
> > the quickest site. Maybe a nice curses ui to choose if you want security.debian,
> > latest gnome packages, netgod's x updates etc. as well.
> I'd suggest that this should be a standalone app. It sounds like it'd be
> usefull for other applications.
[...]
> Write your mirror-pinging utility first.  Get it working,  get people to
> use it.  Once it works well,  apply for maintainership. :)

    Ingo

P.S.: I am not a maintainer and just stepped into this list a few days
      before, so don't flame me if this is not the right place to discuss
      such matters.
--
  c.   Stimm gegen SPAM! Vote against SPAM! Votez contre le SPAM!
 (`)               http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/