Re: ITP: mp3encoder

On Fri, Jun 04, 1999 at 05:42:21PM +0200, Richard Braakman wrote:

> > > There are potential patent problems with mp3 encoders.
> >
> > "Potential"?  The only place it's even possible to distribute the package
> > is pandora at the moment.  And some EU morons want to change that too.
>
> Does this mean you have seen the patent?  So far I've only seen hot air
> from the alleged patent holders.

I've seen a US patent.  And I've seen coverage of an attempt by the EU to
make patents valid throughout the EU if they're registered in any of the
individual countries.  I've also seen a German patent---interesting given
that they don't allow software patents as I understand, but not
surprising given the US patent system as a model of how these things
usually operate.

* boren tosses matlab across the room and hopes it breaks into a number
  aproaching infinite peices