Re: Old packages vs New

On Thursday 3 June 1999, at 13 h 18, the keyboard of David Welton
<davidw@master.debian.org> wrote:

> messages as of late, at the same time there are plenty of older
> packages that go without maintainers and the attention they need.

This is for various reasons and, while the WNPP people are absolutely right to
invite maintainers to turn their attention to old packages, there are several
reasons why some packages are orphaned. Let's take the list:

csh : probably useless, since we have tcsh. Not worth the time, IMHO.
mcvert : non-free. Several maintainers refuse, as a matter of principle, to work on non-free packages.
term : does someone still use this pre-SLIP method?
xloadimage : useless since we have ImageMagick
deliver : do not use it, use procmail
guavac : if the upstream maintainer does not maintain it, I understand the lack of enthusiasm of the Debian people

My personal rule is to maintain only packages I use personally. Otherwise, it cannot be a serious work. Better to have no Debian package than a package whose maintainer neglects its work.