Re: ip-{up,down} scripts

Sarel Botha <sjb@dundee.lia.net> writes:

> On Sun, May 30, 1999 at 10:19:01AM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> > Martin Bialasinski writes:
> > > As I said, with the ipparam option, there is no problem distinguishing
> > > the connections.
> >
> > I've been thinking of suggesting that pon use ipparam to pass the provider
> > name to pppd.  Pppconfig 2.0 will need that for the new dns stuff.

We should probably have a proper written policy for the ip-up/down
setup.  I'll put something together from the ideas seen so far.  If
you've got a bright idea, or a weird PPP setup you think I should take
into account, please mail me.

> And then maybe a dir for each provider in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d ? I think that
> would solve everyone's problems. Just use the ipparam parameter which is
> handed to ip-up which then does a run-parts /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/$PROVIDER

This seems like a pretty good idea.  The only problem is how packages
are going to install their up/down scripts in a sensible manner.

Perhaps it would be better if we had sub directories that were based
on the connection type (the two main ones being internet and
non-internet) with the possibility of additional connection specific
directories.  Then most cases would be handled by mapping connections
to connection types.

It's definitely better to put as much of the intelligence as possible
in the main ip-up ip-down scripts, to avoid having to duplicate it in
all the run-parts scripts.

Is it worth combining the up/down scripts, so we pass a parameter
(``up'' or ``down'') and each script contains a case statement ?

Cheers, Phil