Re: Alternatives in /bin (Was: Re: Bugs in bash (was: Release-critical Bugreport))

Hi,

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Joost Kooij wrote:

> Excuse me for my ignorance if I'm way off on this, but the idea of not
> having /etc on the root partition sound just plain weird to me.  What
> about /etc/inittab?  Isn't that supposed to be read by init before any
> partition gets mounted on the root partition at all?  Come to think of it,
> what about /etc/fstab!?  Have you ever done this in reality?

Actually, it is possible of course, but it still is pretty non-standard,
to put it mildly. If you plan to "customize" a system this much, you're
going to have to know what all the parts of your system are doing when and
where anyway and there will probably be a lot more defaults that are not
so sensible anymore in a situation where /etc is a mountable partition.

I would estimate that the actual amount of general demand for such
situation currently does not warrant much consideration in the way Debian
sets things up.  Of course, if you have this really neat proposal that
gets things right in a most elegant way, I'd hate to have discouraged you.

Cheers,

Joost