RE: knfsd

Anders,

Be warned: the kernel nfs server is not bug free. I've reported the problem
below to the kernel people a long time ago but have received no
acknowledgement. Perhaps it got lost down a black hole.

I've installed 2.2.9 on two Debian/Linux potato machines as well as the
kernel nfs daemons and am getting really weird behaviour for one of my
directories (not created by me but by a package). I can reproduce the effect
as below.

Enter the following commands on the server:

	mkdir x
	chmod o-rwx x
	chmod g-rwx x
	chmod g+s x
	touch x/foo

ls -l x says that foo exists. If I now go to a client, and ls -l x, nothing
shows up. I can remove x/foo on the client and recreate it on the client but
still nothing shows up. If I now chmod g+x on the client, ls -l x shows that
foo exists. If I now chmod g-x on the client, ls -l x shows that foo exists.

If I create x on the client, everything works OK.

If I run the user level nfsd, everything works OK.

I guess that this is a problem at the knfsd end.

Rgds, Andy Chittenden

Email:	Andrew.Chittenden@madge.com	Fax:	+44 1753 661011
WAVE Development, Madge Networks Ltd
Wexham Springs, Framewood Road, Wexham, Slough SL3 6PJ, England