Re: Bugs in bash (was: Release-critical Bugreport)

On 31-May-99, 19:34 (CDT), Joost Kooij <joost@pc47.mpn.cp.philips.com> wrote:
> Please accept my affidavit then.  I've been running several machines with
> /bin/sh -> /etc/alternatives/sh -> /bin/ash with good results.

Sounds good.

> I see no inherent or logical relation between a true multi-user system and
> ill-found assumptions in user scripts that /bin/sh has bash capabilities.

I wasn't clear. What I was implying was that on a Linux system with
lots of shell users, many of them would probably not be aware of the
issue and assumed bash == sh, and there would (I'd expect) be a lot more
"quickie" scripts floating around. On a single-user system, the user is
the admin, and thus more likely to be following deb-devel or otherwise
clued-in. Thus, one might be more likely to run into problems when you
replaced the /bin/sh->bash link with something else.

> IMHO such scripts are simply broken and in al cases fixed equally simply.

Oh yeah, but you might hear a bunch of griping from your users while
you were educating them. I certainly don't have any objection to
"supporting" alternative /bin/sh, and for that matter, wouldn't mind
changing the default: there seem to be some good reasons to do so.
But if we do something like this, we need to be ready for a lot of
complaints/objections/whining.

Steve