Re: #38544: gettext: split package into -base and -dev
- To: email@example.com
- Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org ( Debian developers list)
- Subject: Re: #38544: gettext: split package into -base and -dev
- From: Julian Gilbey <J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk>
- Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 18:38:01 +0100 (BST)
- Message-id: <E10osUD-0005Gd-00@polya>
- In-reply-to: <Pine.LNX.3.96.990601113027.2960Cemail@example.com> from Santiago Vila at "Jun 1, 1999 11:33:35 am"
> On Mon, 31 May 1999, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > It is our standard practice with libraries to
> > have both libfoo and libfoo-dev packages built from the same source;
> > why not do the same here?
> Because it does not worth the effort.
If that is the reason, then I am more than willing to help by doing
the work and giving it to you to incorporate or even adopting the
package. But I don't think that closing the bug report because you
don't have the time or inclination to do it is the right way to go
> BTW: gettext *library* is embedded into libc.
Which is yet more reason for wanting the -dev part of gettext split
from the user part: it is useless for most people.
Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk
Debian GNU/Linux Developer, see http://www.debian.org/~jdg