FHS adoption (was: weekly policy summary)

> Adopt the FHS in place of FSSTND (#37345)
>   * Stalled.
>   * Proposed on 09 May 99 by Julian Gilbey; seconded by Joseph Carter,
>     Aaron Van Couwenberg and Marco d'Itri.
>   * Modify policy to require use of the FHS, with possible exceptions.
>     ( A new version of the FHS is out, that does away with /var/state
>     and some other things and may be easier to switch to. )

I guess that this last comment is the reason that this proposal has
been marked as stalled.  I would suggest that we plan to adopt the FHS
anyway, pating attention to the changes which will appear in FHS 2.1,
as available in the pre-release version.  This is a message which Joel
Klecker posted to -devel on the subject.  I would strongly suggest
that we go for the FHS anyway, bearing in mind that we will not need
to move from /var/lib to /var/state or /var/spool/mail to /var/mail.
But if we have any intention of adopting the FHS for potato or woody,
we really ought to get moving on it.

And do we have any ideas yet of how to handle architecture-dependent
docs?  I would suggest having them in /usr/lib/<package>/examples with
a symlink from /usr/share/doc/<package>/examples.  Any thoughts on
this possibility?

I also sense that fine details of problems with the current FHS will
only appear with time once we begin to migrate towards it; our
experience with adopting the FHS will help to influence its
development.

Let's go for it!

   Julian