Re: PROPOSAL: automatic installation and configuration

Massimo Dal Zotto wrote:
  Adam D. Carlo wrote:
> > However, I do prefer the small hack which actually implemented to the
> > ideal hack which has been debated for years and never implemented.
>
> I'm wondering why in years of debate a solution has never been found.

We've had a configuration management proposal since last fall, the one
Wichert Akkerman put together (http://www.debian.org/~wakkerma/config6/)

It's worth noting that proposal has a lot of features these don't, including
pre-installation configuration (so you don't have to answer questions all
during the install), the ability to merge multiple databases (so you have a
master db on one machine, and a secondary database on another machine that
uses the master db as a read-only resource and stores modifications local to
the second machine (such as hostname)), and the ability to add a "go
back" button to a configuration screen so the user can jump back the the
previous question.

But Adam's words are wise.

--
see shy jo