Re: Give Out Just Binary CDS [was: Paying CD vendors for freebies]

renfro@tntech.edu writes:

> On Thu, 27 May 1999, Will Lowe wrote:
>
> > > post. To rephrase: "Should we consider offering only the main binary CDs
> > > as the freebies at expos, instead of the main, contrib, and source CDs?
> >
> > It'd probably be seen as pretty hypocritical for us,  the ones who are
> > always yelling about free software and being able to get the sources and
> > stuff to give out _just_ binary CDs.
>
> No doubt it might be seen that way; however, from a cost standpoint,
> giving out just main means we can get double the installations handed out
> at a given expo for the same cost (for slink, at least). Whether the
> cost is borne by Debian or by a CD vendor is irrelevant, I think. In
> either case, for a given pile of resources, we could evangelize N
> potential installations, or 2*N potential installations.

Well, that's of the order O(N) both.  ;-)
And I guess these new installs by free CDs are outnumbered by the ftp
downloads and/or sold CDs.

As far as I get to know it, we ask vendors if they can supply us with
free Debian CDs. What we get, we will give away.

Jens

P.S.: Please vote against Spam! At
             http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/
(Sorry Europeans only)
---
Jens.Ritter@weh.rwth-aachen.de   grimaldi@debian.org
Key ID: 2048/E451C639 Jens Ritter
Key fingerprint: 5F 3D 43 1E 24 1E CC 48  1E 05 93 3A A7 10 73 37